PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/20/2008

Victory for I.T.

Today I got a desperate call. One of the surveyors had been editing a file and accidentally deleted pages of information. Days of work was lost. It was language data. Comparison data.

From what I understand, surveyors go out, find information, gather it, database it, and decisions are based on that data.

Well this particular person had lost days of data, and was looking at a very bad Monday.

I got the call, and within minutes the file was back in place.

We had been working on a new backup solution here that would allow us to restore data more quickly and back it up more reliably.

I was surprised because this was our first restore outside of testing, and it popped up VERY quickly.

I was glad to make the call "your files are back, please try it out."

Boy was she elated!! Her Monday went from possibly being very bad to being a decent Monday.

This is a very practical example of how our presence here has helped with Bible Translation. Had we not been able to restore those files, it would have set her work back a few days, and the work of those waiting on her data. It could have potentially pushed back some due dates on different projects.

I'm very pleased that the new solution worked well. And I'm thankful to God that it all came together when it did.