PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/28/2008

God's Word, and babies.

wierd conversation.


Today I had a few moments to myself to think. And what I thought was "aaahhh I'm getting older, the kids are getting older. Time is passing too quickly!"

So I thought "what are my major goals in life?"

And one answer was "I really want my kids to have a close relationship with Christ."

So at dinner today we talked about truth and lies, about reading the Word, and I taught them an important skill. I asked them if Potiphar was married.

I do not know why that question came up, buy my daughter ran to the concordance and knew it was the book to use, I was impressed.

Then I showed them how to use it. I also asked them to tell me Jesus' middle name. First one to answer gets a treat.

Well, they found the verse and answer and I gave them both a candy.

It was a fun exercise, for them, and I felt "good I did something today to help along the goal."

But then it dawned on me that the rest of that verse was "Potiphar's wife said to Joseph, make love to me..."

I closed the Bible quickly but then felt convicted... So here is the conversation we have over pixie sticks.

dad - "has anyone ever talked to you about babies?" (I asked hoping the answer to be no)
both - "nope"
pause.
calvin - "well grandma did."
now dad pauses...
dad - oh.? What did she say?
calvin - making a face, 'she said they have delicate heads and stuff.'
dad - oh... good.. yes they do don't they.
both - yup
dad - has anyone ever talked to you about where babies come from?
both - nope
dad - do you know where babies come from?
both - nope
pause
sydney - wait.. yes (dad gulps).. "they come from the mommy's stomach"
dad - yup.. that's right, well gnight.
sydney - "only... my baby won't come from mommy's stomach right?"

at this point I can see Kendal's shoulders moving in silent laughter as her back is to us.

dad - "no, your baby will probably come from your stomach"
sydney -"right, unless I decide to adopt. and then it'll come from some other mommy's stomach"


And they were completely satisfied with this conversation. I'm constantly astonished at the lack of curiosity and ease of acceptance of concepts my children exhibit at times when I expect them to be confused and ask a lot of questions. It's usually when I don't expect it that they ask me a question from far out of left field.

Today I asked them "how do you know if someone is lying to you."
and my son after thinking said "because you know the truth"
and I said, "how do you know the truth"

which is what sequed into reading the Word.... and the rest of the evening's conversation.