PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/20/2008

Running Sound

This Sunday was the most technically demanding time I've ever run sound for church. I had 3 vocalists, 6 instruments, a cd track, a wireless mic, a lectern mic and a computer sound input.

I'm not extremely experienced in sound, and yet I find myself juggling the knobs and faders, and feigning confidence.

I am the net, trying to keep everyone sounding good, mixed and equalized, and if nothing else, heard by the congregation without sending high pitched feedback into their ears.

My daughter was sitting to my left (we divided the kids so that mom didn't have to sit with 2 alone), and to my right was a high school boy running video.

In retrospect, I'd rather be running video, but God does a miracle in my heart each week and makes me a willing and joyful servant.

So in the midst of all this chaos, the video isn't showing and the high school boy turns to me and says "it isn't playing what do I do?"

I have no idea.
I'm a computer and a video guy, but my mind was SO into the sound at the moment that I completely blanked and looked at him, then at the equipment I've never touched before and shrugged.

It all went perfectly well, you don't stick around here if you can't overlook a few hitches in life from time to time.

At the end Sydney was very interested
"daddy I saw you turning a lot of knobs, is that what makes the video go?"
"no those are what makes the sound come through"
"what does this do?"

She was taking a genuine interest in what I was doing and we only ended the conversation because we had to leave. I was slightly surprised at her interest, she normally isn't that interested in what I do or how. I think we'll have to see if she wants to sit by me next week.