PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/03/2008

Friends in need.

The outlying villages around us are currently having land dispute issues. Attempts to resolve peacefully have been unsuccessful and this weekend fighting broke out.

We are not in danger, this is between the landowners of the villages, it is a Papua New Guinean conflict, and it is a thing that often happens.

It hasn't happened locally for over ten years here, but tension has been high before.

We have friends in one of the villages who are updating us with their stories of the violence that is happening and we feel bad for them and are praying for their safety.

The other day I sat awake in bed, unable to sleep, and I had the desire to pray for one specific man, so I began to pray for his safety. I really didn't know why but at times I get these urges and I follow them.

A few days later he told me a story to make your hair curl. He was attacked by men with knives, and he escaped with only a bruise. He told me 'I should be dead, I praise God that I am alive'.

Prayer works.

Please pray for the outlying villages that they can resolve this peacefully and not have any loss of life. Fighting can occur but once a life is lost things escalate very quickly.

We are concerned for our friends, the reality is that the people we love and work with are threatened, and I may come to work one day to the shock of realizing a friend is injured or killed.

I really shouldn't be saying all of this, as it doesn't paint the culture in the brightest of lights, but truly it is a remarkable thing to see people standing up for God and coming under opposition for it. Please pray that this one village be protected by God's might.