PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/30/2008

Hosed

Today we made massive changes to billing. I edited multiple perl scripts, and access databases. Also we cut over a new email solution here to make things easier. It was a big day for change.

Change is something that folks do not like much, unless they are clear on the benefits. These benefits were clear and people were more than happy to make the changes, but with changes comes complication.

It hurts my heart when a translator is having email issues. It really does, I'm here to alleviate that, although since I'm the one invoking the changes, very rarely I can be looked at as "the big mean guy who is making us change things."

I've come to learn this past year, that helping people does not always mean they will be happy you helped them. Case in point, give a child a booster shot and they will not smile and thank you. They will cry for a very long while. (-;

But that's not what I wanted to blog about today.

Each year, as is the custom here, the parents of the juniors and senior high schoolers invite their children to their banquet. Each year they do it in a special/secret way.

This year they started a fire. A fire in the field, threw the alarm, and the kids all evacuated to the field, saw the fire. Then the dads came in on the fire truck, siren blaring and instead of putting out the fire, sprayed the water into the air, misting the crowd to get their attention. It was a fun hullabaloo.

I really enjoy how the parents and the community are engaged with the youth.