PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/14/2013

Yes means No

You and I have something in common. We both have the exact same amount
of hours in a day to spend how we choose.

We all have a different amount of 'free time' however.

Inside of the realm of 'free time', we make decisions on what to do with
it. Saying YES to one thing, often means saying NO to another.

Because we hate saying 'no' to some things we try to multi-task. For
example, Calling your Mother AND Watching a Movie with your kids. You
end up doing both things rather poorly.

"So how's Uncle Nemo? I mean Uncle Tony?"
"DAD! I can't HEAR THE TV!"

So how do you decide what to say NO to? Or.. rather.. what to say YES to?

I'm in the situation where I can be doing something for other people,
24x7. Today for example, I have post-produced the book of James in the
MAIA language, but to do so, I had to put the video mastering of Luke on
hold, put the duplication of Storybook DVD's for Aitape West on hold,
and put the Onobasulu post production on the back burner. Saying YES
to one thing, meant saying 'NOT NOW' to 3 others.

It's called prioritizing and we all do it. Some do it better than others.

I've had some people say to me: "How do you find time to blog?" or "How
did you find time to make that video?".... I think I happen to be a
very good manager of my time.

My guiding principles for time management:

-Prioritize your tasks using the following formula:
when they are due, how long it will take , how much work NOT doing
the task will create.
e.g. if a task will take you ten minutes to do, but in not doing
it, the person asking for it will take 40 minutes of your
time in emails... do the task, get it OFF your plate.

-Free Time is for family and you. This time is much more precious than
non-free time so spend it wisely. Many people dip into this time to
complete work tasks, I highly advise against this. It is like spending
$5 to make $1. Free time has a value much higher and is NOT an even
trade. Build a brick wall between your free time, and your work time
and don't cross it. Once you do, it's too easy to keep doing. Work
will consume every ounce of time you have if you let it. SLEEP time is
NOT expendable, maintain your regular sleep habits. I've seen people
deprive themselves of sleep which only makes them function worse during
the time they do have.

-Refuse the tyranny of the urgent. IS this really urgent? What would
happen if you completely refused to admit it was urgent, and put it at
the bottom of your pile of things to do? What would truly happen? Doing
this, allows you to react when things truly ARE urgent. Saying 'no'
isn't a sin.

-Always always, always, stop whatever it is you are doing, to be PRESENT
when a person is talking to you. Miscommunication and bad communication
are HUGE time suckers. It's best to listen well the first time.

-Speed is often the enemy of quality. Which do you want to be known
for, doing a LOT, or doing it well?


That's it.
If you come to me and say 'Chad, I need this done by TOMORROW!' You will
hear 'no'. It does no one any good, for me to burn myself out and be
useless and broken for the upteen other tasks I have due. If I have
free time, and all my ducks are in a row, then you will hear "yes". And
it will get done. I have said 'yes' before, only to find out that the
person forgot to tell me 'oh that wasn't important any longer'. 9/10
what was urgent a minute ago, won't be urgent in 24 hours.

As a result of being able to say NO, I am a man who keeps my word. I am
reliable. If I say it will be done by a certain date, it will be done.

If you rush a miracle worker, you get bad miracles.

Think about the people you know. Are they more well known for the work
they do, or the way in which they do it? You will most likely become
more well known for the personality that derives from good time
management, than you will for the tasks you accomplish. If you appear
flakey, distracted, busy, stressed and tired, people will notice that
much more than the work load you complete.

If you appear organized, approachable, and calm, people will see that.
As a result they will ask you to do more work. Won't they be surprised
when they heard 'NO, I am too busy.'

"But you don't seem all strung out like that other guy, I figured you
were not busy."

That's an easy misconception to have, and I don't blame you for having
it. The answer is still no. I'm sure you could ask Mr. Stress over
there, and he'll say yes, but you'll be contributing to his stroke, and
you'll never get your job done on time. Come see me in three weeks, if
this job is still important by then, I think I will have time for you.

-Chad