PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/13/2013

Speed idea

In June, we have a Bible dedication and there is a lot of work in the
Maia language to get the NT onto these audio players.

First the Scripture has to be recorded
Then edited to remove mistakes
Then checked for grammar
Then cleaned up in post production to be put on players
Then renamed, split into small files, and compiled.
Then placed onto the Audio players themselves.

Each step takes a significant amount of time. EACH recording is often 1
section of a book. There are 66 books in the Bible.

Acts has 28 chapters, and 18,451 words in it (in English).

I have to check each word to make sure it's not duplicated or missing.
Then I have to remove noise, like tongue clicks and roosters.
Then I have to normalize it to keep the amplitude inside the ride
measurement for our devices.

And... it goes and goes.

If I can finish 1 Chapter a day, it's a good rate of speed.

TODAY I finished 4 and here's how.

I got this idea, that if I wrote a batch process that would remove the
noise, normalize the audio, and then change the playback speed to double
fast.... that I could listen for the grammar faster than the normal rate.

This has shaved HOURS off the process. I dump my files into the batch,
hit GO, wait 30 minutes or so..
hit PLAY and then I'm listening to VERY fast talkers. The thing is,
since I don't know the language, I'm only required to look for the words
against a Bible. I don't have to have any comprehension.

When I realized, I didn't have to comprehend what was going on, I
decided to speed it up.....

and that... is how you do it when you only have 1 technician and way too
much work. I'm mass producin' baby!

of course the faster you go, the lesser the quality, but our standards
are well above what this country would consider 'good'.... we're still
in the 'excellent' range of quality... but yes, in order to speed things
up, I am sacrificing some quality.... and in this country, we're okay
with that. It's more important that people hear the Word, than that
they hear it in HD. (-;

-chad