PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/17/2013

Respecting Teachers



I want to take a minute or two, to give much respect to, the teachers of Ukarumpa International School.

I am married to one of the elementary school teachers, and we share an email inbox.  As a result I see all the email that gets sent to her, (and as soon as I realize it's for her, I ignore it.... mostly).

I'm not one of those kids who enjoyed a majority of his teachers in school.  I got good grades, but mostly I did it so that the teachers wouldn't have any leverage on me.  I was a good student grade wise, but not a good student as far as contributing to class, being a good listener, etc.  So when I take a moment to pay respect to teachers, it is because after many years of being married to one, and watching them, I've come to respect them.

The teachers here, care.  They care to the point of pain.  Personal pain, sacrifice, stress, sleepless nights, over working, arguing, ....caring.

I've seen flurries of emails and concern over students who are lagging behind for one reason or another.  Issues of culture, communication with parents.

I've seen the teachers here put up with things that teachers in home countries would NEVER have to face, because they don't live 50 feet from their student's parents.

The teachers here care greatly about every student. They pray over them, they labor over them, they care more than I've ever seen teachers care before and I am in awe of it.

I respect the teachers who sacrifice what they sacrifice to be here and teach the kids who may never truly be appreciative of the wonderful education they are getting.  And yet, the teachers, continue on.

It is a noteworthy thing.