PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/11/2013

Mad Skillz

 

Maybe you don't think about this much, but I sure do.  It amazes me how since I was a little kid, God was equipping me to do exactly what it is I'm doing right now.

In 1989 I took a video class in high school.  The instructor later said 'I only taught there, for those 2 years and I'm convinced it was because I was meant to teach you.'  ?!?! What? 

One of the things he taught me, was how to do certain repairs on the VTR/VCR's we had.  He happened to teach me the proper method of cleaning a VCR head.

These days, people don't hardly use VCR's and so it's not a skill people know.  Also, they have VCR cleaning tapes and people used those.  So, really it's not a skill that most people would find useful.

However today, it was useful.  Today we were doing duplication of training tapes and converting them to DVD from VHS tape.

We had 2 vcrs, and both were exhibiting problems.  After troubleshooting a bit, I decided that it's possible, that both vcr's needed their heads cleaned.  We ran a tape cleaner on them but nothing worked.

I decided to take them both apart and give it a nice deep cleaning of the heads with q-tips and alchohol.  Sure enough, they started playing video again.

I sat there, and thought.  WOW.
It feels so good to know that I had the ability and experience to troubleshoot and then solve this problem.
And I realized....

God prepped me years ago, for a moment like today.  He's done it so many times over I can't barely begin to tell you all of them (though I have blogged a few).

There is something extremely satisfying about knowing that you're serving the function you were intended to serve, about having the skills, through no fault of your own, but instead by God putting people in your life, and experiences in your life that perfectly equipped you.

You may say 'bah, anyone can do that'.  I prefer on the other hand, to give thanks to God that I was able to.   I love it when someone says to me 'how on earth did you know how to do that?' and I say 'it's a funny story really......' because most often, those funny stories aren't coincidence at all... but they were God crafting my life.

I tell you what, the last 2 days, God has been showing me some neato stuff!