PNG TIME

ipblocker

1/15/2013

Heading Out please pray

Tomorrow morning I am heading to a village near kokopo/Rabaul. This is
line of sight to an active volcano.

I'm taking with me 4 big cases of sound equipment, and a generator.
I've packed spare cables, spare microphones, etc.

I will be daily meeting new people who speak a language I do not
understand. I will be asking them to read from a script into a
microphone in a language called Tok Pisin, or maybe if they speak it
well, English.

I will be responsible for making sure every actor says his part right,
and fast enough to be in sync with the video.

The video is called the Luke Video, and it is the entire book of Luke
sans 'And Jesus said' bits because you'll actually be seeing Jesus on
the screen, speaking.

It is my first attempt at doing this. The expense is so high to get to
this place, that I can't afford to have equipment failure, or to miss a
single line... because there will be no re-shoots once I fly home.

I will be away from my family for 3 weeks.

I will be in a village setting. This is not like traveling on business
for 3 weeks, because there is no hotel, no room service, none of that.
It's a village house, which, I think I'm fortunate, they have an indoor
flush toilet. (a huge luxury).

Until this trip, the longest I've spent in a village is 6 days. Staying
in a village is an exercise in endurance. You have to endure
mosquitoes, heat, isolation, foreign language and boredom. Well I
shouldn't say boredom, I should say... a lack of things to do.

I am confident that I can do this project, and excited about the
prospect. I'm excited about the challenge before me, and I have that
adrenaline feeling right now that you get when you're standing on the
cliff, considering jumping into the river below. Nervous, excited, and
looking forward to the exhilaration of having accomplished it.

This is how I need you to pray:
-that our equipment (old as it is) does not fail. The weather is VERY
hard on this stuff, and if it fails, the project halts.
-that I do not miss a single take. I get all the parts recorded with
quality and that I do not lose the data.
-that I do not get sick. I've had a head cold lately, but I'm more
worried about malaria, denghe, giardia, etc.
-that my family is safe while I am away
-that I maintain a healthy attitude and enjoy the experience.
-that I get along well with the people I interact with and am staying with.

-that once completed, this collection of Movie, audio version, and study
guide will be used to change lives for the Kingdom of God..... and that
specifically it will NEVER sit on a shelf collecting dust but be
constantly employed to communicate Christ's love to people.


I see a lot of good coming out of this challenge. I see:
-my tok pisin will get stronger
-I will have accomplished living in a village for a longer time, and
thus be confident the next time this is required of me (because it will be)
-I will have done my first Luke video, and people have told me this one
is a VERY hard one to start with, so I figure if I do well, the rest is
all downhill.
-I will have seen a beautiful part of this country.
-I want to have encouraged the translators I'm going to help, and
encourage the work they are doing.
-I hope to have built relationships that will endure.


Thank you
-C