PNG TIME

ipblocker

1/19/2013

Day 4 Church

Day 4: Church on Sunday
The village church was very pleasant. They saw me coming, ushered me to
the section for 'elders' and gave me the 'strong' chair, which in the
U.S. would be cheap lawn furniture. I spent much of the service trying
not to move so I didn't shatter this chair. The preaching was mostly in
tok ples (Ura) but sometimes the people swapped to Tok Pisin so I
understood it. The singing and praise was awesome, and it reminded me
that ALL people all over the world will one day Praise God. I had to
choke back tears as we were singing heart felt praises to God in this
remote part of the world. I take worship for granted in our home
church, but sitting here amongst the bamboo, chickens, dogs and dirt, I
was hearing Tok Pisin Praise from the top of their lungs, and I was
joining in. God is holy, God is good, God is mighty. I've always said
the most significant moments of worship for me were outdoors. There is
something about being amongst God's creation that makes you want to
praise Him. These people were, and I may not have understood the
sermon, but I could understand the praise.

We walked home to start the generator and printing, and drank a cup of
cold water. That is a luxury because there is no fridge here. But we
went to town yesterday and had ICE, so we got some cool water from the
'ice chest' aka an 'eski'. Gary, the translator here said 'take
advantage of it while we can, Cold water is NICE!'

So I'm sitting here printing on a laser printer, which is powered by a
generator, downloading the driver for it, over a CDMA modem with Digicel
coverage nearby.... and being cooled by cold water and a 12volt fan
which is attached to a car battery, which is charged via solar. (don't
worry I have pics and video to share later).

You tell me, is that roughing it? I mean, as far as village living
goes, this is high tech! I get a kick out of seeing practical uses for
technology.


doh! ... gotta go put fuel in the generator, I have another 30 pages of
Script to print out for tomorrow's recording.