PNG TIME

ipblocker

12/19/2012

turning stuff down

In my life, I have passed up free trips.
I've passed up a work trip to London, to Las Vegas, to multiple places.
This week I passed on a trip to Thailand.

Why?

Partially because I am a family man and dislike being away from my
family much. With this new job, I've got an invite to spend weeks away
from home every month if I want. I have to prioritize.

Partially because of circumstances and timing.... for example going to
Thailand means I don't get to celebrate Easter with family and friends.

and partially because I do not have the world traveller bug. There are
people who chomp at the bit to go see some other place in the world. To
experience it, to say they've been there, and done that.

I am a solitarily focused individual. Sometimes I get so focussed on a
task, that days go by before I realize 'oh, I haven't stepped outside
yet'. or 'oh, when was the last time I ate?'

I'm sure I would enjoy Thailand, but I would bemoan leaving behind my
work and my family for the duration of time I'd be gone.

Not to mention I'm a big guy and riding around in a plane isn't always a
fun thing for me.

So... my life is a cornocopia of missed travelling opportunities that
others think I'm crazy for having passed up.

I don't get stir crazy, I don't get island fever, I don't miss shopping
malls and restaurants. And all that tells me I'm perfectly suited to be
here, although I have no idea how I ever got up the gumption to get
here, but I am here, and I love it here, and I don't really desire to go
bouncing around to other places I don't like as much.

And so all the people thinking 'you're crazy I would LOVE to go do that
and experience that'.... more power to you. I find that attitude makes
people very restless where I live.

NOW, if you yanked away my internet connectivity, suddenly I would get
horrible island fever. I would be chomping at the bit to get somewhere
with access.

I think differently than many non-geek people.

I would one day, enjoy taking the entire family to London. I think
visiting the world is better if you have someone to share the experience
with you.