PNG TIME

ipblocker

12/01/2012

tree hunting 2

Every year it is our tradition to go tree hunting. Since we have a three
foot tall artificial tree, (it was easy to ship over) that we bought
from Costco for $15 6 years ago, we don't exactly need a saw. BUT, it
has been our tradition for me (dad) to go hide the tree somewhere in the
jungle of PNG.

Typically I hide it, put up a sign saying 'Tree Farm', then we pile into
the car, and drive around sipping cocoa, listening to an ipod with
Christmas songs, and the kids have to answer Christmas trivia. Whoever
answers right, gets to choose 'LEFT or RIGHT' at the next intersection.

This way we turn a relatively small area, into about a 40 minute search,
as they're searching for that sign to tell them where to start looking,
and since the driver (me) knows where to go, it is a way for me to not
have control over WHEN they'll find it.

This year I got stuck in the mud a little, but, the kids found the tree,
and then my son and I mock up cutting it down and carrying it (it weighs
about 9 lbs), together... sometimes we even fake needing a break to get
in the spirit of it.

Then we complain about forgetting rope to tie it down to the
car...etc... the whole 9 yards.

We have a lot of family traditions that we do here, and the reason we
started them, was because often at Christmas time people get homesick,
and miss their old traditions, many of which you simply can't do here.

But when you have NEW ones, that are associated with living here,
suddenly the 'homesick' part goes away. You do your PNG customs when
here, and your USA traditions when in the USA.

We have a pretty long list of things we do, and ways we get excited,
prepare for Christ's coming.

Our perspective on Christmas is that is a GREAT teaching time for your
kids. You can reinforce family values with fun, and tradition. You also
teach generosity, kindness, and the real reason for Christmas.

This particular tree tradition, was something that came to me on a lark.
I was rummaging through some scrap wood and found this sign, and it said
'trees' and suddenly the idea popped into my head. I discussed it with
my wife who played along and before we knew it, we had a really fun
family tradition.