PNG TIME

ipblocker

7/21/2010

Paying Off

Years ago, 1997 I am a system admin at Sun Micro. I have to move from building to building working on issues, and never really 'customized' my desktop because of this. I once sat down and during a server emergency, saw another admin spend 20 minutes customizing his desktop so that 'he could work'.

Before that time I had always been the kind of guy who didn't customized his computer in anyway. No stickers, no ergonomic keyboard, no backgrounds, no special sounds, no keyboard remapping, nothing.

After that day I was stalwart in my beliefs.

Now, being a missionary I'm more nomadic and it's paying off.

I can work as quickly on any keyboard, any laptop, with or without a mouse, with or without a trackpad or trackpoint or whatever.

I have no customized sounds or space that I require.

And I find, that because of this, I'm quite content working from this little laptop without any kind of external devices.

All that said.
I'm nearly 37.
And I've found in the last week that looking down at my laptop screen is in fact putting a crick in my neck.

I've never been very caring about ergonomics for myself. I can see how it helps others quite a bit, and it's important to be comfortable in your workplace.

I suppose my comfort comes in knowing that I can jump around and be as productive one place as I am another... well relatively speaking.

Still, I might put this laptop on a few books or something (-;


The only reason I bring it up, is it seems that this penchant for non-customizing and it's payoff to my nomadic lifestyle... seems to be another example of God working in my life years ago to prepare me to be what I am today.

He reminds me of these little things from time to time... these 'oddnessess' that are parts of my personality that eventually come to bear to have some actual functional use in my life as a missionary.

It blows my mind how perfectly God suited me to do what I'm doing right now.