PNG TIME

ipblocker

12/19/2013

Washing Rest



7 years ago I knew next to nothing about washing machine repair.
Since then my wife and I have had a couple of clutch, midnight washing emergencies.
There was the time we were washing sheets the day before we left for the U.S.
or the several times the floor was flooded...

I've opened up more than a few washing machines since then.  But tonight I opened one that has been problem free for over 3 years and was bought for us new by supporters.

I realized I'd never opened it up when I went to open it and ... realized 'hey this is different'

Kendal and I were sitting down for a well deserved rest, and I heard a bad noise coming from the washing machine.  I ran in and shut off the washer. I asked my wife 'did you hear that?'  "no, hear what?"

It sounded like a faint motor unable to turn.

So, we hand drained the tub, and I got inside of it, and looked around, and if nothing jumped out at me was going to google the maintenance manual.

But I began checking the normal things.... clogged drain? no... vacuum tube has pressure? yes... hmmn...
I took the suction pump apart and found a chain necklace wrapped all around inside of it .... I do not know whose it is yet, because it's midnight, we'll ask the kids later but we also let friends use the machine so... it could be anyones.

The reason I took it apart at midnight was because tomorrow is the last day hardware dept. is open for 2 weeks and going without a washing machine for that long would be tough. (not impossible but tough) so I had to decided if I needed a replacement part.

Well, we didn't, it's in there happily washing clothes again. 

I suppose that's just one of the skills you pick up... necessity being the mother of .... well you know.

Here's the rub.
My wife and I both feel like we have a ton to do, like we've been very busy.  Tonight we said for 1 hour we're going to sit and relax.  But really we couldn't.  Too many interruptions.  But had we NOT decided to sit down, and rest,  I would have NEVER heard the chain caught in the motor, the motor would have burned out, it would have cost us $200 and 1 month shipping time to repair, and we'd be wearing dirty clothing for our Christmas picture.


There's GOT to be a lesson in there somewhere... maybe something about, how we NEED to rest from time to time for our own good.  I dunno it's late, do me a favor and come up with your own moral.