PNG TIME

ipblocker

12/10/2013

Multi tasking

Right now, I have 3'5 computers churning away.

On Computer 1, my work Windows 7 laptop, I have the AudiBible software
encoding 2gb of Gospel stories and songs for the Gadsup language. In
about 2 hours I'll have an Audibible master.

On Computer 2 mywork Ubuntu linux computer, I am using oggenc on a loop
to convert .wav to .ogp for the entire NT in Arop-Lukep language.

On Computer 3, my work MAC, I'm burning a mastered DVD for a 2 disc set
of the Luke Video in Gadsup.

In our distribution room, we're duplicating 100 micro SD cards which
contain videos compiled YESTERDAY on computer 2, for CELL phone format
(.mp4).

So my computers are all busy, which is how I like them..... and in my
field of vision is 4 screens with progress meters going, and while all
this is going on, I'm sitting here preparing my next batch for encoding.

I can't help but feel these computers are all my little slaves, doing my
bidding, using their cpu's, whilst I pull the strings like a puppet master.
It helps me sleep at night if I know that I have all the cpu's available
to me, doing something. Otherwise, why be powered up at all? I get
enjoyment in scheduling backups, and batching encodes, so that while I
sleep, all the magic happens, and when I wake up, I can get to work.

I imagine back before computers, people had minions.