PNG TIME

ipblocker

12/22/2013

Free Time

It is our tradition to stop all non-critical work for the 10 days of Christmas to New Years.  It's a much needed time of rest for people, and it's usually the time I get around to doing projects I've been intending to do.

However this year we're tightening the belt a bit, so I opted not to spend the money to fix up the house... so no big project, jsut small little things around the house.  It's what I do normally anyway.... putter around fixing things.

This week I decided to spend some time just playing with my kids.  I had come up with a plan to make a quick catapult out of a spoon and a rat trap.... and was thinking about it when my daughter said 'Dad let's make something out of dominoes!'


CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.   Sydney was tasked with building a domino castle, and Calvin and I began making siege weapons consisting of two 'ratapults'... and one double ballista we made out of inverting two nerf 'jolts' we got in a care package, and rubber banding them together with a popsicle stick for trigger and mount mechanism.

Calvin named the ballista 'Gemini' because it means 'twin'... he said.

Here are some pics:




It took us an hour to lay siege to the fortress, ratapults are hard to aim.  In the end, Calvin said our scientists made a technological development and got his huge nerf gun to lay waste to the castle.  But while he was developing, the Castle team (Sydney) also made architectural advances and built a wall 3 feet high out of egg crates.  I grew tired of the multi-hour siege, and decided  giant came across the land and destroyed everything.  Then I enjoyed peace while the kids cleaned up.

All in all, a successful morning of play.  You gotta make up your own fun every now and then, turn off the screens and enjoy each other.