PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/03/2013

Tanks

The Japanese occupied Rabaul during WWII. This is a light tank. 4 tons. I visited the Kokopo war museum.

The lady who greeted me really wanted to let me into what looked like an abandoned building.

"Hi how are you? Donno!!!!!" She shouted loudly into my face to get Donno to come open up

"Good"

"So where you from? DONNO GET OVER HERE NOW!!!"
"Highlands"
"Oh you see the volcano? DONNO DONNO DOOOOOOONNNOOOOOO!"

Finally this little old Png man hobbled out and opened a room full of dusty old rocks. I hadn't wanted in but nobody bothered to ask. So out of politeness I stared at some rocks for a while and tried to read the rotting placards that told me their names.

Some great war relics and stories could be found but none of it preserved well. It was a glimpse into what I imagine a museum might look like post apocalypse. (Dust, decay, missing words, faded pictures). Only there was no apocalypse.