PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/20/2013

Opening my first iPhone



No... not the box.  The phone itself.  2 years before I came to PNG I decided to buy a Mac to learn how to support Mac's because this place was predominantly Windows driven.  Before that, I learned in my job how to be a Unix guy. 

So when smartphones hit the U.S. only a short year or so after the second iPhone was released, we started seeing them here too.  I tried to become an expert on them.

And, I did a fair job of helping people who needed help.  Yes I learned to jailbreak them to make them work in PNG.  I've done my fair share of hacking around the iPhone for people.  EVERY time I was nervous I might destroy it.

But today was a first.

Someone came to me and said 'my power button is jammed'.  I asked if it was under warranty, and it wasn't because a friend had given them the phone.

So, I decided to Google it.  I found a quick youtube video of a guy who fixed this problem with a piece of paper.  I remember fixing my 3Com palm pilot a decade ago, with a 3m Post it Note, so I decided to give it a try.

2 screws opened the phone.  That was easy.
Inside I saw the issue, there was a bit of gunk around the button.  I took a piece of paper, cut it, folded it, and got it in there with my screwdriver, using it like a sort of squeegee, getting the gunk off.

And now it works.

PHEW!.... nothing like working the first time on a $600 phone and having NO idea what you are doing.... and then having it work fine when you're done!