PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/01/2013

Jungle Tech Support

Humbling moment folks.  William, the bush man, lives in PNG, and knows what a SIM card is and how to pop open and put in and take it out with ease.  Do you know what a SIM card is?

William saw me walking by, and we talked about the house he is building (every 5 years or so you need to rebuild your house because of the bugs and weather).  He asked me to take a look at his cell phone which had recently requested an unlock code.

I told him I could try, I knew a little bit about unlocking phones, but not a lot.  (Mi gat liklik save tasol).  William was happy I was willing to look at his cheap chinese knock off of a motorola which was carrier locked.  I couldn't fix it for him, but he was happy that I looked to tell him it would probably cost him money to unlock.  He then told me he had bought a new phone anyway.

It is SO interesting how technology surfaces in this country and what people become accustomed to.  William would not know how to run a microwave, which our U.S. children do, but he knows how to swap out SIM cards, which many adults can't do.