PNG TIME

ipblocker

10/21/2014

Let There Be Ice!!



We inherited a free refrigerator.  We are thankful for it!  We purchased a few cheap ice trays and my son has repeatedly told us how frustrating doing his chore of keeping the ice bin full, has been for him.  I tried the trays, he was right.

I was driving along one day thinking 'So many fridges around here have ice makers in them.  This fridge is pretty new, I wonder if the buyers didn't want an ice maker?  It would have taken a little effort to find a non-ice making fridge these days.'

WE LOVE ICE.  In PNG ice is awesome!  We use a lot of it.  We have a tradition, whenever friends come in from the village, we invite them over for a meal, and make sure to have PLENTY of ice because they can't get ice in the Village.  They've been living for weeks off of no refrigeration at all.

Refrigeration is a wonderful thing.

I got home later that day to find my wife and daughter had discovered an ice maker way down in the back.  So, I went about installing the ice maker water feed line.

Now in PNG, plumbing is a hassle.  Odds are you're dealing with at least three different types of standards and material.  U.S. vs Australian, pvc vs flexible pipe vs copper vs steel.  You never know until you begin if the thread count is going to be the same, if the part you need will be in PNG or even exist!  You have to be patient and creative, and find ways around leaks, or have money to tear it ALL out and start new.

I HATE plumbing in PNG, it requires every ounce of patience I have, and it is expensive.

But, in the U.S.... ooh la la. (pardon my French)!!

I went to the hardware store, found everything I needed, all labelled clearly, all with clear instructions, all standard sizes such that I only needed 1 wrench, etc.
Within minutes the job was done, and done right the first time!

SAY WHAT?  The first time!   That never happens to me in PNG.  Always something goes wrong 1/2 way through the project.

Nope... everything went right together, I had prepped for leaks, explosions of water, etc... turned on the main.. and... huh? It just worked.  It worked!

Now I know... I know it wasn't me.  All these years all my plumbing difficulties... it wasn't me! It wasn't some massive lack of understanding, some missing piece of information.  It was the absolute craziness of not having a plumbing standard and people just doing whatever worked. 

I mean I've seen PVC joined to Flexible Polyethyline pipe by melting it on with a blow torch.  Silicon is your friend when it comes to water proofing something... but caking it on?

This was a nice, simple, clean, properly done plumb job, and I was very satisfied.  With how simple it was to do..... and how well it works...

and now, we have automatic ice happening while I write this.  No muss, no fuss.  No more problematic trays.

3rd World Problem: - we have no water coming into our house because the tanks rusted out.
1st World Problem: - I can't fit my automated ice cub into the hole for my Sports Travel Water Bottle because they're too big.

(-;