PNG TIME

ipblocker

6/09/2014

Source Cream

Under the heading of 'how we live':

I was prepping dinner tonight. It's Tuesday so that's Taco night. And by
tacos I mean tortillas. We almost never have actual taco shells. The
store occassionally has them, but they are a tad pricey.

In preparing dinner, I had to make sour cream. I don't know the right
way to do it, but I pour the contents of boxed thickened-cream into a
bowl, and then go outside, pick a lemon from the tree, and squeeze the
juice into the bowl.

Stir, and refrigerate.

Bingo Sour Cream sources from the yard.

As I was stirring I had a flashback of some brand.. I think it was IMO?
Which I think is funny because now IMO means 'in my opinion'.

Chopping the lettuce, and the tomatoes, grabbing some cilantro from the
herb garden, chopping it up….

and I suddenly thought 'wow, we're not using any pre-packaged food in
this meal.'
(well the box of cream.) The tortillas were fresh from scratch, many
ingredients from our garden or from a friend's garden. To be honest, we
output very little trash because we don't use pre-packaged food often.
Pre-packaged food costs extra money (cake mixes, cereals, stove top,
etc), or isn't available.

We do this because it is necessity, but it strikes me, that there are
people who want to live that way. Living off the land, eating more
naturally, etc.

PNG is a fertile land. There is a ton of produce available, some not
available (like plums and peaches) but still, a great amount of
available just here in our own yard.

I'm thankful for that.