PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/14/2014

Typical Saturday

So you might ask me "What do you do on Saturdays?" Do I rest? Do I sit around and read? 

I find it extremely rewarding to work hard on Saturdays.  I involve my son and often my daughter.  For the past several weeks we've been cleaning our yard and preparing it for furlough.

Three pines trees have been threatening our house, neighbors, and so, each weekend, we trim, cut, and haul away the rubbish.

Last week I thought I had finished up most of the work, so this morning I woke up and said 'hmmn, shouldn't be much work today'.  That was 9 hours ago.

Today we:

-hauled off a huge load of yard rubbish (weeds and cuttings)
-cut down a pine tree
-cleaned the branches, and cut the tree into 8' spans.
-hauled off the tree branches to the dump (2 loads)
-loaded up the sections of wood and brought them to a PNG friend in need of firewood.  (we have plenty).

It was a full day's work for sure, and in the process I realized, how useful having a chainsaw would be, because I had a friend come over to do the big cutting.  The tree was leaning towards our house, so he cut while I tugged using my truck and a rope.  We felled it perfectly where we wanted it to go.


I don't know why, but I never feel as happy as I do when I've exhausted myself doing hard outdoor work.  I think it is because I spend so much of my time in doors.  When you drop trees, clean brush, you feel like you've accomplished something with your hands and arms, and back.

I feel great satisfaction in knowing that the lot we occupy was once an eyesore to the neighbors, and now, people are complimenting us on how clean and good it looks.

Planting things in PNG requires very little SEED.   For Grass, you cut it out of the ground somewhere else, and transplant it.  For flowers, you take a cutting, for a tree, you take a cutting.  Things just grow here, the soil is good and the rain and sun is plentiful.

Which explains all the yard rubbish we hauled off.

YES we could hire someone to do that, but it costs money, and working chores with the kids gives us a chance to teach the kids work is good!