PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/20/2014

Deleting Jesus

The thought running through my brain all day long was "The
purpose....of... editing....." Dr. Tom Nash at Biola University put all
freshman Radio/Television/Film majors through an introduction to Audio
course in which he gave us a badly recorded reel to reel tape and asked
us to edit it. This was before we were doing digital editing.

So we learned to cut and splice... old school.

But none of us ever forgot his voice "the... purpose... of... editing"
on that tape.

Doing Scripture recordings in a foreign language, often requires
editing, and this week, a LOT of editing as the reader is not the most
proficient in the world.

I've become rather fast and a quick and clean sound edit. The goal of
these sessions is to get the Scripture down into audio format with as
much efficiency (speed and quality) as possible. Doing an Entire NT can
take up to 25 weeks to do.

In 1 week, we've done ,Acts 1-10, 1Thess, and 2Thess chapter1. THAT is a
LOT of recording considering the amount of work that goes into it. My
abilities on a computer help me go quickly, and Dr. Nash's voice in my
head, helps me to edit well.

One of the things we edit out (cut/delete) is repetition and stammers.
Today the reader was repeating the name of Christ in his language "Yesu
Kilisi" but because he was repeating them, and they weren't in the text
repeatedly, I had to edit some out.

It felt sacrilegious to delete Christ's name. I mean, people used to
get stoned for saying the name of God, and yet here I am playing it over
and over and cutting it and splicing it, and .... it almost sounds like
a remix going on while I'm honing in on the right patterns to cut out.
Something feels .....wrong about that.

the purpose... of editing... is to get the audio recording to properly
reflect the Scripture.