PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/27/2014

Louder and Louder

I was recording a pastor today. His people group has over 2,000 people
in it. I was having a difficult time getting him to read the Scripture
in his normal voice.

He started and I set my gain so that he was at the perfect level, but
then as we progressed, his preaching voice would take hold and he would
get louder and louder and louder and louder.

The longer the chapter, the louder he'd get.

At first I thought maybe his earphones weren't turned up. They were.

No matter how low I dropped the gain, he would always increase his
volume to exactly -12db.

We began the chapter at a high gain, and I lowered it as we went, every
few seconds, and no matter what I did, he responded and his voice stayed
at -12db.

I only mention it because I figured it was such an oddity (normally
people stay the same volume or fluctuate slightly, but never increasing
at a steady rate).... I figure he was going to lose his voice yelling
like that.

It was his first time in front of microphone and I tried to teach him
how to use it, but no matter what, he would get louder and louder... and
near the end of the day nearly lost his voice. I kept him drinking
water all day.

So I was thinking about it.
The audio bible we were making, would reach 2,000 people. Maybe he was
shouting to reach all 2,000 ?
Maybe he was shouting because he was passionate about the Word?

I found it ironic that I had to turn the mic 'gain' down... and yet the
GAIN to be had by this project was that a couple of thousand people
would be hearing the Word of God through this man's voice.

God uses us like tools. This man's voice, my recording skills, the
translators linguistic skills, your supportive skills.

His will be done, His kingdom come!