PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/05/2014

Jury Rig #819

I have no pickup truck.  I'm hoping to raise $20,000 to buy a used japanese Toyota and ship it here, but until I do, I have to borrow trucks.  My son and I have been spending Saturdays hauling yard rubbish out of our yard.  There has been about 8 loads so far, and still another 6 or so to go.  So you can imagine, all the people I know who own pickups are sick of my call on Friday night.

Well, I have this ATV, and years ago for K100 I bought a rusty old flatbed trailer.  And I got me an idea.

Make my own trailer.
I did it, 100% free of charge.
Here's how:

-in my scrap metal box I pulled out a galvanized steel pipe, and cut it into several 3" segments
-I welded those segments along the sides of the trailer after grinding away some rust to make a good weld.
-I took some old hardwood 2x4's and cut pegs into the bottom of them that fit inside the steel pipes.
-Then I took some spare boards I had (from a utility shelf I deconstructed... yes I took shelves apart, and removed all the nails... I don't waste wood, I re-use it.) and made what you see below.
-to be sure it would hold dirt, I put up the old kitchen cabinet doors I had laying around, with the handles out to make rope tie offs.
-it comes in 4 parts, all which slot into place, and then held together with brackets I made out of scrap I had salvaged from broken things.
-the tires were flat, and so on the advice of a friend I put tubes in them (they were tubeless) and let me tell you, without the proper tools, putting tubes in a tire that has the lugs rusted onto the rim.... is difficult.


(we don't throw away much here, if your blender breaks, I'll dismantle it and save all it's components to use on something else.  ALWAYS save brackets and springs and bolts and screws and switches....etc)

So, because it cost me NO money to make, and because I have NO truck, (and because I make it so quickly it has NO square corners)... I have dubbed this my:


'NOYOTA'  (my wife prefers 'freetow')




So this saturday, my son and I will be hauling yard rubbish without having to borrow.
You can see 2 of the piles just ahead there, behind that last tree, that lump of green...
and top right corner, the lump of brown/green.

THIS SATURDAY, bring your pitchforks and shovels.... this is dirty work!

I LOVE that little ATV, imagine what I could do if it were four wheel drive!