PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/15/2012

before and after

The cleaner one is one I'm proud of but would still professionally
consider it 'messy'.
It is one of the youngest cabinets I inherited.
I was able to clean up most of the wiring, today I installed wireless
access for the schools who are now the proud owner of 2 used original
kindles in the library.
However I had to create a multi-ssid setup traversing 2 vlans, because
the kindle's do not support WPA2-enterprise.. so I create WPA2-personal
for the kindles only.

The cleaner cabinet is the high school cabinet.
Notice it's a plywood box, OUTSIDE.
it has a switch, a ups, a WAP (with poe injector), two fibre boxes and a
punch down block.
This is a typical configuration for our departments here.

The second picture is a bit messier. It's one I have yet to clean up.
IT sits in our typesetting department (formatting of the Bibles before
print).

The Before is 'it was a mess before I came... and I haven't cleaned it
up yet' and the After is 'this is what it looks like AFTER I clean it up'.

The cosmetic work of cleaning these cabinets up is a nice 'on my todo
list' item... but it seems I rarely have the time and the scheduled
downtime to get to it.
But since I'm hoping within the next 2 years to move everyone to
Gigabit, I hope to have it all cleaned up by then.

I don't want to bore anyone but what giving wireless to the high school
means is that they can now go 'online' with their grade reporting and
tracking. It'll help our teachers spend less time doing reports and
student progress, give parents INSTANT information as to how their kids
are doing in school (no more waiting for hand written report cards) and
generally decrease the amount of work our volunteer teachers have to
do. We hope.... that's the plan.

5 years ago the school would have never attempted this because the
internet connection was not fast enough, and far too expensive. Now,
they are going 'online' for some of their key roles... meaning they need
less in-house computer support. Which is good, because my department is
overrun with work.

It is also good that the kids have access to online research materials.

So that's what I did today, Friday. I helped bring a school into the
21st century. Not bad for a 1/2 day's work.
The rest of the day was spent documenting everything, as I firmly
believe in good documentation... and adding the new devices to my NOC as
I firmly believe in nothing happening on my network without me knowing
about it.