PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/16/2011

Only you...





So here is an encouraging story (it encourages me). When we got here a few weeks ago I went in for a health checkup with the doctor here. The Doctor said that since I was there he'd ask me a question. He purchased a handheld device (HP Ipaq with windows Mobile) and he enjoyed using a software called Epocrates. He said he had spent countless hours with several other CTS (computer dept.) guys who all said 'well I can't get it to work, your only hope would be when Chad returns'.

So I replied, 'come by sometime, we'll spend an hour, and get it fixed.'

1 hour ago I had no idea what 'Epocrates' was. I had and still have no idea exactly how the Ipaq PDA works. But the doctor has a working piece of software that tells him about medications and treatments.

He is very thankful to me, and I'm thinking 'this is AWESOME!'.

It was a simple solution, I verified that there was some issue with the network on his laptop and the sync software, bypassed it and sync'd directly to his handheld. After which he said 'I should have bought an iPhone'.

For me, the fact that I was able to get this working is hugely affirming to me.
I took what I know (thanks God) and applied it to what I didn't know, and tested a few things and it ended up working.

Now the entire community can benefit from the doctor having access to up to date medication information.

And I get the bragging rights of being able to say 'I'm the only guy on center who could get this working for him'.

But what feels even better than all of that... pride and ego aside, is that another doctor recommended me to this doctor to fix his issue.

Here's why.
I've made an effort to learn things that I feel are needed here but that other people don't understand. I've learned all kinds of old and new technology for 1 reason.

My ministry here is to make it so that people feel confident that if they come to me, it'll end up working one way or the other, and so they can concentrate on THEIR job rather than being constantly frustrated that a tool they need isn't working.

When I can directly impact the community in this way, I feel so much affirmation that I'm the guy God put here.

So I'm very thankful for these moments where I realize... yes God put me here, God gave me the skill and brain I have... and I am soooo thrilled to be involved in the process.