PNG TIME

ipblocker

1/12/2008

Saturday in a really big nutshell

the kids have been a bit much to handle as we're in the 4th week of a 6week school break, so Kendal invented "the kindness crown".
Family members (including daddy and mommy) act with kindness and the most kind person gets to wear the crown until the next day's dinner.

The kids were SOOO good today.

I did some cleaning and organizing. It is amazing how time goes so fast and things can get out of order. We like a certain semblance of order and cleanliness around our house, so I took the time today to do that.

I did some woodworking today, Calvin and I made a little frame. He helped me make it and then he oil/stained it. I LOVE that the previous owner of this house was a carpenter and has nails/screws/wood/glue/stain all left behind. I can do many of these small projects without spending a dime.

I repaired a handlebar on a bike by adding a makeshift spring.

This place really is paradise for jury riggers.

I worked on another project of mine, but that's a different post.

And then, after all that, around 5pm, I looked up in a tree and looked at the rotting tree fort. Intending only to climb up and test out it's strength, I ended up rebuilding the tree fort with scrap wood, and so now the kids have a nice little and simple tree fort.

Kendal came along and said "you need a bucket with a rope to carry stuff up with!"

The kids loved it.

So... with all that family time, work stuff, and given a new fort in the yard, I'm looking at a very restful Sunday with the kids outdoors all day!

When I was a kid, I remember my dad was always working. My kids don't get to see me at work unless I work on Saturdays, but it's good for them to see that rather than me sitting inside all day at a computer, which, I would be doing even if I was working.

I enjoy busy days like today, because not only is the work rewarding, but being able to do it along side your kids, is rewarding to.

Kendal spent her day working in the kitchen making meal preparations.

Tonight's dinner:
bbq teriyaki chicken sandwhiches, cabbage salad, pineapple, and fruit jello.

look, no grubs in that meal... well not on purpose. The only grubs I've eaten while here, I ate accidentally.