PNG TIME

ipblocker

7/22/2007

language barrier

today in the rain, our haus meri and her daughter knocked on the door.
my wife was having a bad allergy day and not feeling well so I answered the door but politely asked them not to come in.

"how can I help you?"
"I need ice and sugar."
thinking it an odd request I went to the kitchen, and began cracking ice cube trays into a ziplock bag. Thinking perhaps she was making ice cream. Then I grabbed a jar of sugar and returned to the door.

She gave me a very weird look as I said "how much sugar do you need? this is all the ice I have I hope it is enough." holding the elements up to her.


"no, mi laik ice and sugar, ice and sugar, mi makim donuts."

I pause... and then.... from the back of the house, it clicks with my drowsy, sneezy wife and I hear her holler/chuckle from the kitchen as we both get it at the same time....
"icing sugar"

OOOHHH!!

Yes we have plenty bags of that. I went to the kitchen, grabbed a bag of powdered sugar labelled "icing sugar" and returned to the door.

We had a nice little chuckle.