PNG TIME

ipblocker

7/22/2007

Clocks

here's something you don't think about.
no digital clocks
at least no digital clocks from the U.S.

we brought 3
a radio alarm clock, a wall clock, and an atomic clock.

figured out why yet?

the power goes out frequently here, so without a battery backup you're constantly resetting clocks.

But that isn't the end of it.

Because the clocks we brought weren't international for power they run slow. They aren't used to getting 50hz of power. We step down the volts to 110 from 220, but we can't change the cycles.

Blenders run slow, clocks run slow. As you look around homes in this country, you don't see digital clocks.

What does that mean for us?
We suddenly realized our kids hadn't perfected their ability to tell time with an analog clock.

Our son has it down, but our daughter hasn't yet decided it's something worth mastering and so she relies on him to tell her the time.

He's 2 years younger. She also relies on him to do her multiplication for her. (-;


Geek Moment:
------------
Out of curiosity I brought my atomic clock. I did not know until today that they weren't supposed to work globally

Q: Will Atomic clocks work everywhere?
A: Atomic clocks will work anywhere they receive the WWVB signal from the NIST. This signal is broadcast to reach across the continental US and into parts of Canada and Mexico.

*There are some environments and weather conditions that may influence the reception of the AM radio signal. Just as with an AM radio, the clock can be positioned for optimal reception. For instance, it is best to position the clock away from metal studs and toward the directions of the tower in Colorado. Since these timepieces contain highly accurate quartz movements, they function with very high levels of accuracy between signal receptions.


But, I wanted to see anyway, so I plugged in my laser projecting atomic clock (19.99 at walgreens) and the only thing that would power up is the projector, and I could actually feel the heat on my hand, so I knew there was a power problem. Very clearly on the back of the clock is a map of the U.S.

MAP conundrum:
I have room for 2 maps, and I have 3. PNG, US, and World.
I guess the Old U.S. map is gonna have to take the bench.

---------------end geek moment----------------