PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/10/2013

Passports!!

Here's a crazy little story of how planning ahead actually ended up
burning me.

2 years ago I noted down our US passport expiry dates, and then, a year
in advance put it on my calendar to 'renew passports for the kids'.

2 weeks ago that reminded popped up. So I wrote to the proper people
and asked "how do I renew my children's passports" and got back 'the
consolate embassador is actually coming next week, you asked in great
timing, this will save you a trip to port moresby to get the kids
sited! show up next thursday at 3pm."

Now I should have known this next bit, it was my failure. I think I was
too busy to put 2 and 2 together. The LAST time I did this was around 4
years ago and I had a slew of paper work to fill out and copy, etc etc..
BEFORE the siting.

So what I should have had was all my ducks in a row, all my papers
copied, applications filled out, etc.. before 3pm today.

But I didn't. Because I forgot that's what you had to do. I had no
idea the consolate SITING was the LAST part of the process and not the
FIRST part.

I asked the right question, but at the wrong time....

Anyway we show up today 'here we are. the Owens' what do we do?'

And the next hour was all 4 of us running around with our heads cut off
trying to get birth certificates, passport photos, social security
numbers, etc.

But the cool part was... we did it! We actually got passport photos
taken and printed, we got in the door moment before they closed!

Still, you don't really like to have to jerk your family into panic mode
unnecessarily.

Now, hopefully, even though our papers weren't turned in all neat and
orderly, we'll still get 2 passports renewed for the kids.
The reason I do this a year in advance is:
1 - to get a free siting when the consolate is here
and
2 - to get the passport renewed before the visas get printed.

-chad