PNG TIME

ipblocker

8/28/2012

Holy Cow



Some of our friends keep a milk cow so that they can provide fresh milk to the community.  Our other source of milk is milk powder.  Today as I left the house I saw his cow walking down the road.  I was on my ATV, and knowing that the man of the house is currently out of country, I decided to try and rustle the cow back into his paddock.  I got in front of her, with my ATV and laid on the horn which stopped her dead in her tracks but she wouldn't turn around.  What followed was a fun little scene where I'm chasing this cow beeping while the neighbors are watching this surreal event unfold.

I had no rope.  I had no real plan other than to get her back to the paddock.  She had a plan, but I thought she was just wandering free.  At one point I had rustled her into a corner so she leaped over the ditch, and landed in a garden.  Suddenly I saw pictures of people demanding compensation of me as I caused a cow to damage and eat their garden.

I gave it one last try, and got in front of her, stared her down, laid on the horn, and she juked me and started kicking up a storm.  I decided to let her go and alert the owners.

I found out that whenever she goes into heat, she escapes and runs down the road to where the bull lives.  The story has a sad ending though because though they've been trying to mate her for a long time, the bull seems to have chosen a life of celibacy.

Oh well, next time I'll have to bring along a rope.