PNG TIME

ipblocker

8/03/2012

Have Laptop, Will Travel

Today it rained.  I was called around 3pm because the nearby clinic had installed a new X-ray machine that produces digital images.  It was a network box, and they needed me to check it out and tell them how to accomplish what they wanted as far as file sharing.  So, I dawned my poncho, hopped on my ATV and drove to the clinic.

Who knew I'd be working on X-Ray machines when I woke up this morning?  Raise your hand... come on.. what no one?
Who knew they'd be basing it on Windows XP??!?!?!!?!!  And... check this...  the interface to the scanner, is FIREWIRE.  Finally, an in production windows machine running firewire, I never thought I'd see THAT.

fun thing if I understand the tech, exposing a plate is pretty standard, but the film inside is mylar with a phosphorous base, that can be reused 30,000 times.  This solution apparently is popular in humanitarian clinics all over the world.  The electrician that installed it, said his last one was in Ethopia.  I meant to snap a picture of me working on it, but was to surrounded by people with questions, that I didn't.