PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/23/2012

Why Technology Rocks!

We're way behind the times of say, California out here.  But I have to say technology is AWESOME for accomplishing work.

Here are two examples:
1 - today at 5pm I heard over IM that a flight from AUSTRALIA had landed.  Expecting an important piece of electronic hardware for the last few months, and having the entire weekend free, I thought 'how nice it would be to get it before the weekend'  But all departments shut down at 5pm.  So no one answers the land telephone line.  The alternative is I wait for the package to be loaded to a bus, driven from aviation to the post office, the post office staff to sort it, and put a notice in my mailbox.  Then I have to arrive during open hours (only work hours) and sign the package out.  BUT... instead.  I went to our internal website, looked up the cell phone number of a friend who works in Aviation.  Called him, and he's bringing the package to my house.  IM to WWW to CELL to home.  WOW.  Now I get to work on this over the weekend instead of waiting for Monday.  NICE!!

but the better example is here:

2 -  an email from a translator friend of mine.

 

Thanks for this. Last night Emil [a PNG translator in the village] and I [an ex-pat consultant in the U.S.] worked for about two hours together on translation.

Our Skype connection was very clear and so was my Bomgar connection to his computer. Paratext Live, which is now in Beta, allowed us to work on the same chapter at the same time, just like Google Docs. Thanks for all your work getting the VSAT set up! It is now doing exactly what we hoped it would do--enable me and the other consultants to continue to help the translators even when we can't be there at the translation center.

Awesome! Yes, thank you and all the  other CTS [computer IT dept] dudes!

 

Serving our King together