PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/27/2011

Stuff I learned


the photo is for fun, lots of war wreckage can be seen in these parts.

For those that are concerned that my skill level might atrophe while here, I thought it might be fun to list out all the things I have learned since January.

In 4 months I have learned the following technologies that I have NEVER seen before:

-Packeteer - how to do packet shaping - We deployed it and I became the resident 'expert' on the topic... the deployment was so successful we were able to improve our network performance by a lot.

-PPPoE - I've only heard of it until now, and now I've setup a server and tested it

-Captive Portal - the concept was familiar, but now I'm intimately informed about this... think Starbucks hotspot.

-FREERADIUS - the leading radius server out there, and now I know it very very well.

-PFSENSE - having never used this box before, I'm very familiar with it now

-VMware VSphere - I'm an admin now on a cluster and have imported many vm's and we've together migrated to an 90% virtual environment!!!

-Net Scopia - a new application for video/audio conferencing that we're testing out.

Many of these technologies are currently leading in the industry, and many of them would be necessary skills for a network technician who wanted to work for say, an Internet Service Provider.

I however have no intention of updating my resume because I enjoy working in the Lord's employ. While learning and using these things has required a lot of my grey matter lately, I have enjoyed learning new things, and wanted to inform anyone who was concerned, that my Lord is keeping me challenged, and up to date. As He always has. I owe every one of my skills and abilities to His guidance. I will boast in the Lord for taking an average mind like mine, and jamming all this stuff into it, admittedly at times, against my will. But in the end He has made me a useful person and I do very much enjoy being useful.