PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/28/2011

All Christian Parents Should See This

I rarely do anything other than report on what we're doing here, on this blog.

Recently our church services have been playing videos of different preaching because it takes a lot of work to organize a church service every week when you have no staff dedicated to it. So occasionally a video will be shown.

I saw this sermon (you can listen or download the video)
http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/let-no-one-despise-you-for-your-youth

The main GIST of the message is that parents should not give their children a heritage of believing that being a Christian is following a set of rules.

They should instead endeavor to teach their kids about a relationship with Christ.

It's a huge challenge, and if you listen/watch it may challenge your approach at parenting a bit.

I personally have inherited a wonderful heritage from my family that has taught me the value of prayer, the desire to seek a relationship with Christ, and I do not feel bound by rules and traditions although I honor them, I do not feel they define my salvation.

Many people I know have 'left the church' or 'turned away from God' because their entire understanding of Him is that He gives them rules that they don't fully like or understand.

It's a sad scenario. To lose out on the wonder that is Christ and knowing Him is a tragedy.

One of the things they say about going to the mission field is that you are confronted with things in ten years that would take most people 100 years to be confronted with and as a result your faith is forced to grow quickly.

I have become so addicted to seeing Christ move in my life and around me!! Watching Him work is incredible, and brings me closer to Him. But last night it dawned on me, that many people are losing out on that opportunity simply because they see Christianity as a religion of rules.

The true wonder of this life, is getting to know Christ just enough through our sin clouded bodies, that we want to get to know Him a LOT more later when we're untethered and unshackled in heaven!!!