PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/15/2011

Iphone Jury Rig

My latest Jury Rig.

Cell Phone Sim Card

Trying to unlock an iphone 4 and migrate from an old (donated) iphone 2g.

The biggest problem is my iphone wouldn't' unlock… until today.
The second problem is our carrier here, doesn't make micro sims, which the iphone 4 requires.

Most people might say 'well cut it to match' but it's not that simple, Digicel uses the OLD sim cards… so here's what I did.


I live way out in the highlands where we can't get mail or …well anything quickly. So what to do when my new Gevey sim card hack came in the mail?

Well, first, I had to get a micro-sim to fit. Seeing as how mine wouldn't, I posted on the 'wanted' newsgroups and a neighbor actually had the RIGHT kind of SIM!! YES! I didn't have to wait a month to get a new one.

So I got it, and then compared it to my old AT&T micro sim and used my leathermans tool to make the cuts.



I had to make the TOP card look like the bottom card in order to make it fit into my phone. A few well placed cuts later and I did. Making sure to match up the lines of the metal portions.


I put the new micro sim into this device, the Gevey.

After going through all the steps to activate the Gevey it dawns on me that my new sim hadn't been activated or possibly was expired and I didn't know the number of it… and since my phone is not yet unlocked I couldn't make the necessary calls.

OOPS.
Now I have a microsim and no other working device to put it into to make the calls. NO ONE ELSE ON CENTER had a device that would take a microsim….




so…
I took the plastic card the original sim came in.



and cut a piece out of it
and shaped it like a regular sized sim (The top card in the top picture).



But then I cut a microsim shape out of it, very carefully so as not to cut myself or ruin the 'adaptor' I was making.


THEN, I put my homemade sim adaptor into the phone's sim cradle, and snuggled in my microsim into it.. and put it into my old phone, and made all the calls necessary to activate the card.


Then all I had to do what pop it out and pop it into my new phone.


Bingo.

Tools needed:
-1 Leatherman multi-tool
-2 phones
thankfully no bandaids.

If I were in the states, I'd have walked into the closest Tmobile store and asked for a proper micro sim, and it would have taken me 30 minutes.

this process took me a little closer to 2 hours. But I prefer to call it being resourceful.