PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/02/2009

Anniversary




When life gets a bit busier my blogging slows a tad. Although busy life here isn't what busy life used to be back in the U.S. still you adjust to your definition of normalcy. Well this past 2 weeks have been very busy for us at work. I briefly touched on it, we made a network change and at the same time of that change, a LOT of things broke at the same time.

So we've been working nights, and weekends and such like that trying to stabilize, and we have.

I had the pleasure of spending 8 hours troubleshooting one translator's laptop and getting to know him a bit in the process. I should have followed my instinct and solved the problem in 5 minutes but I wanted to be VERY thorough before I did. It turns out my initial instinct solved the problem (note to self.. always always always uninstall ZoneAlarm).

Last night was our 13th wedding anniversary. For a gift I hand made a rosewood picture frame and put a photo of the place I proposed and gave it to my wife. It was my first (wood) router project I'd ever done, and I'm not completely satisfied with how it turned out. Thirteen is lace, and so I bordered the picture with lace. (thanks to a friend in the states who provide me the picture about a year ago).

I'd been holding onto the photo for a long time, waiting to use it at the right moment.

My wife gave me a very thoughtful gift, a few bags of sunflower seeds. I think it was the first time the store had them and she thought of me when she saw them. (aaawwwwww!).

She made a very tasty dinner and we ate it by candlelight after the kids went to bed. We decided to have a quiet dinner inside, and not try to do anything fancy. We don't have a great track record for anniversaries the last few years, so we laughed about locking the doors and not going outside.

For our 10th, we were in training in Florida, and we found about an hour to ourselves to enjoy some quiet time near the pool, alone, until an older couple joined us for an odd conversation

For our 11th we were in Waxhaw, NC, and we tried to go out to a dinner show which was so awful we left half way through.

For our 12th we were in Papua New Guinea, and we tried to go into town and get a meal, but we had to share it with an injured tree kangaroo, geckos and flies. It was surreal.

So for our 13th, we decided to play it safe and stay indoors, and it was very enjoyable and quiet... completely unmemorable. And when you've had VERY memorable anniversaries for 3 years in a row, unmemorable is a good thing.

We read through some questions we try to discuss annually. Goals, parenting ideals, spiritual aims, etc. One question was "what can you do as a couple to improve the world?" And we decided,... we were finally doing it.

The picture above is of a Matsumaru man at a New Testament dedication we had recently.