PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/30/2007

Making a friend

today, I had around an hour conversation with a Papua New Guinean man. He learned english in the states, and everyone I've spoken to about him say he's a good man and his family is a good family. He is trustworthy and he works on center.

We talked about his family, his history, how he met Christ, we talked about his children and about different things. It was great!

I was able to ask him some of the cultural questions we have and he offered good advice as well as some key phrases to say. He was able to warn me of certain things, and I thank God that He sent this man into our lives.

We are pretty excited that we have had such an early chance to create a relationship across cultures that has the promise of being a good sound friendship over time.

It was interesting because as usual I may have been over thinking the situation.
I have been told that papua new guineans will tell you things through stories.

Well the situation is he is sitting on our veranda, my wife had served fresh baked cookies, and I had poured us some cool water to relax and talk after he had spent hours mowing our yard (yes it's that big).

I have been told two things;
1 - if you serve snacks to nationals, if they like it, they will eat a lot. I have always found that endearing.
2 - Americans prefer food sweeter than other nationalities.

So it was interesting to watch him eat the first cookie very slowly, but then, proceed to eat nearly half a dozen.

Now he's talking a lot and I'm not wanting to interrupt. So I didn't leave to get more water, but I'm thinking "after that many cookies this guy HAS to be thirsty"

Soon he's telling me a story and the phrase "cool water" keeps coming up in the story. I'm thinking in my head "well it may mean nothing, but I'm going to serve him more water." I offered more and he thanked me.

A while later, I hadn't paid him yet, and I realized I was exerting control over this conversation because he may not be willing to ask me for payment. Soon a story comes up about how he was paid at this job, and how this other job paid him, and how he saved his money as a young child. The idea of money kept coming up, so, I went inside and got the money, and offered it to him, and he accepted.

We talked for another half hour, but he was free to go whenever he chose. Soon he said he had to go home and work in the garden.

It was an incredibly encouraging time. And I thank God for this budding relationship!