PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/28/2007

Lae in a Day

March 28
----
Lae in a day. Our friends decided they would treat us to a trademark "Lae in a day" trip. This trip is about supplies. (But also, it was about showing us around.) Finding things you either can't find on center or can find much more affordably. The store on center is amply stocked for necessity and some niceties but it goes in cycles and things that might be there one day, may not be available the next. They receive containers of supplies that come mostly from Lae on trucks.

The road to Lae (sounds like a Bob and Bing movie) took 3 hours one way. This is less because of distance and more the condition of the road. There are at times potholes scattered across the entire width of the near-two lane road. Maneuvering around the potholes involves weaving all over the road and sometimes off.

Not only are the potholes a hazard that you best see coming so you can hit the brakes, but they are a cause of a whole different type of driving in this country. If you are behind a vehicle, you can't see the upcoming potholes. T hey may brake suddenly. If you try to pass said vehicle, at the same time they try to swerve to avoid a pothole, that's a bad situation. So you liberally use the horn to let them know you intend to pass.

Using the horn is not rude in this country.

Intersection stops. They don't have them really. They have roundabouts, which are a fun little way of managing an intersection because you don't have to stop, you simply have to yield and merge.

What other hazards are there? People, dogs, pigs, oncoming traffic, bridges, mudslides and more. Don't forget, as they always said about Ginger Rogers, she had to do everything Fred did, but backwards, and in heals. All of this driving is on the other side of the road, and the driver is on the other side of the car. (although someone once told me it's because they always like the driver to be in the center of the road)

So you can imagine, that Lae in a day involved 3 hours TO Lae, shopping all day, then 3 hours back. The driver, needs his wits about him at all times, and his reflexes. It's a long day for the driver, it's a long day for everyone.

Wisely, we start each trip by putting the vehicle, our safety and the trip in God's hands in prayer. I would like to spend a moment on the issue of prayer. Until the last few years, I did not consider prayer a survival skill. I considered prayer as a means to get to know God, to express to God, but I was completely aware that God is sovereign and anything could happen. Recent years have taught me that, yes that is true, but prayer should also be very much your first instinct in any situation. Personally, I think God enjoys blessing His people by answering their prayers.

So you may think "okay they prayed, but still they could break down." Yes we could. And folks have. That doesn't mean God doesn't answer prayer. But what it does do is provide a new way that God can show you His provision. One such example is that a friend told us a story that he broke down a while back, and two complete strangers, nationals, came up along side him and said "we'll stay here to protect you until you are done with your repairs". And they did, sacrificing their entire day's plans to stay with him. This is unheard of. This is God's provision.

It is perhaps what is most addictive to me about serving God. Complete reliance on Him and watching Him arrive and supply. It never gets old. I see miracles daily. I see God's hand move! I see people touched by Him and lives changed. I see His love for us.

As we embark we remember, each interface we have with the people in this country is the making a reputation, for both our organization and for God. So we remain polite, no matter how tired we are, we speak in love, no matter how long the lines are taking. It isn't hard to remember you're a witness when because of your skin, you stand out. In many ways here, you stand out, and it is a good discipline to remember that you are an example of Christ to those around you. And really, we aren't here to go shopping, we are here to serve and share Christ. I was encouraged to see people take this seriously today as each interface they had with people was shedding light, speaking truth, being encouraging, and being polite to people.

Some highlights are the road conditions seem to be improving over time. Two years ago much of the road wasn't paved as it is now. Also, a highlight is "Big Rooster" which is much like a KFC, and is something you can pickup on the way home for a treat.

You'd be surprised what you can get in country. I saw an xbox 360. It was selling for near a thousand dollars, but it was there.

The countryside is beautiful! Have you ever seen cockatoos flying in the wild? We have.

I apparently am my own form of entertainment for the nationals. Inside stores, people were hiding behind displays and staring at me, turning away when I made eye contact. One cashier lady huddled with three other cashiers and were apparently watching me and giggling. I turned over as I stretched and caught their eye, they started laughing out loud so much that they turned and covered their faces with a clipboard. They didn't want me to see them laughing at me.

I haven't seen that kind of reaction since high school. Wait, who am I kidding, I never saw that in high school.

I am large and I am white. It's like MTV to the nationals I guess. I wonder what would happen if I brought my banjo and started playing in the middle of town.

The trip was enjoyable. Our big purchase of the day was some mosquito repelling devices to hopefully reduce the amounts of bites the kids get. I had them count their bites today. 19 each. I rounded out to around 12.

God blessed us today with the energy and the safety it took to pull the trip off.

Our kids, were taken care of by some neighbors and had an excellent day. They made friends, beaded necklaces, and painted toenails, etc. It was a great answer to prayer because we wanted them to start making closer friends and it sounds like they did.

Besides the people watching, the comfort of knowing that there are items available to us, the good fellowship and the experience of being monitored.... this day was exciting to me because I got to use some Tok Pisin.

I've studied the vowel sounds of Tok Pisin so I able to read signs and practice pronouncing them in my head.
-isi- isn't "issy" it's "EE SEE"

Our guides would talk pidgin to people and then I would try to repeat what they said later.

For example.
We were looking for some erasers that go on top of pencils for a friend.
My host was talking to the person trying to explain and then later when I was in a store I tried the same tack.
I don't know pidgin, but I could remember much of what he said, and so while I'm sure I sounded like a child's language level, I said,

"Mi laik kissim eraser go long top long pencil"

which is a hodge podge but pidgin doesn't have a lot of words for things... but the clerk understood me. THAT was fulfilling.

Then later, I said

"Mi hamamas long mitim youpela" -I think this means "I'm happy to meet you all."

So, for me, I got to utter a few phrases that I have no idea if they are right, but I was constructing enough of it that people understood me. So there is much less the sense of panic when trying to communicate.

I'm rather sure that people will be talking about the very large white man who spoke like a little baby for a few days yet.