PNG TIME

ipblocker

10/03/2019

Caleb

The christian equivalent of the question "If you could choose a super power, which would it be?"  (that's an entire other blog post), is "Which person from the Bible do you most want to model your life after?"

When I was a young boy the answer was Joseph. I liked how he survived injustice and betrayal, and grew to a position of power. But as I became older I looked at him as more of a pompous youth and a bit unwise and full of braggadocio.  So I changed my mind.

When I was in college it was Barnabas.  Such an encourager.  I wanted to be an encourager, but I found it very difficult to get good at, and realize I didn't know a whole lot about Barnabas.
Today it's Caleb.  This guy is told to go spy out the land, finds it full of giants and comes back all excited. "Look at these huge grapes, they take 2 men to carry! This place is awesome! Sure there are big bad guys there, but if God says we can do it, WE CAN DO IT!"  Out of 12 people only 2 came back from the spy mission not depressed, and saying 'God can overcome'.  They remained faithful.  Then 45 years later, when he's in his 80's, because he remained faithful to God at that time, Caleb walks on the land the Lord gave him as a fulfillment of a promise.  45 years later. 


Some may ask 'why not want to be Joshua?'  No thanks.  He was the man in charge after Moses, he led the people wonderfully, made a few mistakes, won wars, lost a little, and did great things.  But I don't aspire to be the 'great things' guy.

I want to be the 'With the Lords help, we can overcome all obstacles" guy. The guy who is faithful, but you hear very little else about because he didn't do much else. His story is more about God than him. A guy who waits 45 years into his 80's before he sees the fulfillment of a promise given to him.  A patient guy, a faithful guy, and one whose life points more to God than to himself.

Of course I don't like the idea that only Caleb and Joshua survived. Of all the people alive at the time they went in to spy the land, only 2 were alive to enter it. I'm not sure I dig on the idea that I'd outlive all my friends and neighbors, that would be a sad undertaking.  But if I were Caleb I'd probably not be worrying too much about that, I'd probably be thinking 'well, the Lord made a promise so I figure I'm still around until he fulfills it. And look! I'm 80 something but I'm still strong and can still fight! Let me at 'em!'

Yeah I like Caleb.