PNG TIME

ipblocker

7/14/2014

Reflections on Returning #1

Many people have asked me thus far 'so how are you adjusting?' I'm
thankful for those who recognize there is an adjustment going on. I'm
trying to answer the question for myself. I consider myself highly
adaptable, and so the transition for me seems quick. Even though we've
had a rocky start of it.

Me and the kids have been gone for the longest we've ever been gone.
Having not returned to the U.S. for over 3.5 years, whereas we did
return once during our previous term.

I was warned that the longer you stay overseas, the less likely you will
be to find friends who can integrate you back into their lives. I've
been gone 7 years and so I did not arrive assuming I'd see old friends,
nor that that any still around would be able to make time to spend with
me. I was expecting that sense of loss of 'everything has changed' but
it didn't happen.

In fact what I found was a lot of friendly faces, all excited to see us,
all finding time to talk to us, greet us, take us to a meal. People
bending over backwards to help us find a place to live and furnish it.
What I found was hospitality and love, and it is overwhelmingly wonderful.

I've caught up with friends as if I've never left. Ran into familiar
faces still together at church in the same groups, talking about
Biblical concepts. I've eaten burritos with folks, and have found that
a friend is never too far.

Even though our schedule is completely chaotic, we've still been able to
run into a few familiar faces, and even speak to some we couldn't see
yet over the phone.

So, THAT is not a worry.


On the other hand, with variety comes complexity.
I've been having a hard time finding the time to sit down, and evaluate
all the choices in front of me, technically. For example, I need an
internet connection, but there is mywi, cable, satellite, free wireless etc.

Trying to find the best solution for our price range and family in a sea
of possibilities is hard, because I want to read up on everything... and
then, you don't always pair up the right two items.

Buying a used car, transferring ownership, getting a cell phone to work,
etc... all of this is much much much more complex than in PNG. Even
though everything is familiar to me, it simply isn't as simple as it is
in PNG, because, there is less variety and therefore only really 1 set
way to do most of these things.

With options, comes my desire to weigh the options and make the most
responsible choice. But that takes time which is not currently working
in my favor.

I have taken the PNG method and abandoned the tasks I need getting done,
in favor of relationship building. So my 'to do' list is growing and
not getting near done yet because I put down the 'read up on what LTE
is' in favor of 'hey you want to meet so-and-so?'

This may have driven me mad 7 years ago, but now, it is something I can
just do naturally without stress.

I'm very thankful for the variety, but it is the hardest thing to adapt to.


LOVE the roads. California has some of the worst roads in the country,
and still they are REALLY comfortable to drive on.
I told my son 'in PNG you drive and look out for dangers like potholes
and pigs, but in California your biggest threat is other drivers on the
road not paying attention.'

The hazards are different, but the driving itself, is so much more
comfortable when you're not hitting potholes and having the tarmac
suddenly turn into dirt and gravel.

But we also drive a lot more. You have to drive to get anywhere it seems.

So, for my first Reflections on returning I would say, we're adapting.
Things aren't overwhelming or too complex.
Mostly what is happening is an onrush of information and I'm having a
hard time discerning what's important, what's vital and what can be
ignored, and while it's all coming I'm realizing how much has changed in
the last few years.

It would be interesting to me to read a blog posting of someone writing
about their entry into PNG. I don't believe I'm suffering from any
'culture shock'.

I'm just so very happy to have seen the familiar faces that I have
already and look very forward to seeing the faces I have yet to see.