PNG TIME

ipblocker

7/31/2014

Communication Addendum

Maybe this is coincidence, but I've found that since folks only seem to answer calls from people in their contacts list, they know who is calling before they answer.

And the caller knows they know who is calling.

So there often isn't this exchange of hellos… it's more like a
'yep?'
then right into business.

Years ago I was chastised for my bad phone etiquette. I was told I need to be more cordial on the phone, say nice long pleasant hellos, chit chat, etc… but now.. that seems to be gone.

And it seems to also be bleeding into meeting face to face.

If I text you, then Facebook you, then see you in person, then text you later… it's like we're in contact 24x7 and so for the people you see often, greetings aren't like they used to be.

I used to have a rule back in 1992 when my school started a network bulletin board system (bubbs) that I wouldn't speak to someone in person about things we spoke online about.

I wanted a clear delineation of real life an virtual life.

Those lines no longer exist. My virtual me is almost as present as my physical me… and so conversations to me right now are still somewhat awkward.

I don't know exactly how to behave when I've been emailing and texting someone and then actually see them. So… I give a handshake or a hug, say hello, ask how they're doing… but then….
there isn't much to say because folks say it all already on Facebook.

So what ends up being said is 'well if you've been following me on Facebook you know what's been happening…. I posted an update, you can read it later.'

On the flip side.. its GREAT for people like me. I'm in touch with folks, I know what's going on even though I'm 6600 miles away.

And, when something tragic happens, you don't have to tell people, instead they start right in with 'I'm so sorry about ____" which is helpful for my wife right now, not having to retell the story because so many people already know it.

I'm against these communication changes I'm just observing them and even in a way, celebrating them.

However, I've always considered the art of conversation something to be valued. I enjoy people who can converse and be interesting in groups. I think perhaps to maintain that level of interest, you have to be a touch mysterious, which I suppose means not blogging and Facebooking about every detail of your life.

So… I guess I goofed there.