PNG TIME

ipblocker

11/21/2013

On Turning 40

   
Today I turn 40, so pardon me whilst I pontificate.

The 40 years I've spent on this Earth have been good. Though I do not consider this world my home, I've spent 40 years passing through it and have seen more blessings than any man deserves.

I was raised in a wonderfully loving family who obeyed and followed God. I love them enormously. That right there, is more than many men can say.

I met a good wife, and she gave me two good kids. We have been married 17 years. We have followed the guidance of a good God, who has sent us down a good path.

Years ago I overheard my dad speaking with a friend at someone's 30th birthday party. The friend said 'I loved my 30's, but the 40's is where it all began to fall apart. My body started acting against me, my eyesight weakened, my memory weakened, and it was the beginning of the end.'

And I thought at the time 'boy if that's true, I'm glad I'm not 40!'

And here I am 40. I don't have a gray hair on my head. I weigh less today than I did when I was 20. It's a small point of pride because I was pretty fat at 20, and I completely plan to enjoy pie again in my 50's.

In the past decade I've seen my little children grow from toddlers to a young man and a young lady that I'm happy to know. They also love and serve the Lord.

I've traveled to an exotic country, which is something I never planned to do.
I've worked in exciting fields, and met exciting people.
I've upheaved my entire life, and come out better for it.
I've made good friends who I enjoy greatly.
I've done it all not on my own, but because God has chosen to bless me.

I have never enjoyed giving my testimony. I came to know the Lord when I was 5, and it's been a good relationship ever since. I don't have exciting tales of backsliding, or recommitting. I have just been committed. I've never been perfect, I've never been all-knowing, I've simply tried my best to follow someone who is, and when I mess up, I'm thankful that I am loved by someone who is also forgiving and full of grace. I don't regret my testimony at all, I revel in what God has done for me. I just feel like sharing it is at times, bragging. I don't mean to make people jealous when I say this:

-Since I was 5, I've tried to obey God at every turn, and though my life has not been perfect, it has been good and I have very few regrets. Any regrets I have were times I chose not to obey Christ, and yet through them I have learned to grow closer to Him. Thankfully most of those regrets did not generate long term consequences that I've had to live with. It's easy then to forget the pain.

My life story is really just an example of one life where 1 man has endeavored to please God, and along the way, has turned out rather pleased with how it's turned out thus far.

I've always had this sense of doom… like 'my life is going so well, it has to have some bad things happen soon.' But I realize, I've had bad things happen in my life. Harm has come to those I love, to my family, to friends. When those times come, my gut is to turn to God for help. I know it can be trendy to question your faith during these times, but I don't have that luxury. I don't get angry with God, I don't question His goodness or existence. The only thing I question in those times is whether or not this is going to be one of those challenges He helps me through quickly, or wants me to spend more time experiencing it for some reason.

Still I've had this sense that no man deserves what I have been given, and so I am doubly thankful.

In the next 10 years, I hope to see my children graduate high school, and possibly college. I hope to hang on tightly to whatever God throws our way and remain a person with a thankful heart. I hope to see the friends and family around me mature and experience new things.

I'm looking forward with hope and anticipation because the last 40 years have been pretty good. If the next turn out to be bad, I'll figure that's fair, and hope to still be able to give God thanks no matter what.




.