PNG TIME

ipblocker

11/09/2013

Carnival

One of the things I love about our subculture here is our yearly Carnival.  It is put together by the students at the school, and it is a time to celebrate as a community.  Any money raised goes to charity. 

The reason I LOVE Carnival, is because you get to see the innovation, which to me translates into grass roots fun!

For example:
Sumo wrestling.  Why buy hard to get Padded Sumo suits when you can duct tape inner tubes together?


Or what about a home made "Strong Man" contest. (hammer hit, bell ring) using an old car leaf spring, and a block of hard wood (kwila)



We even have an AirShow.... Remote Control Planes and Helicopters.  The RC fans practiced to show us loops and rolls and unison flying, on a small scale.



And finally, the Ferris Wheel.  A home made (welded and designed) steel contraption, powered by the teenage boys, who jump up, grab a bar, let gravity work, and then let go.  It's an amazing feat.  No electricity required.



Another reason I love this is because it gives families common experiences that aren't common.  By that I mean, if one of our kids were to be in the U.S. and another kid ask them "have you ever ridden a ferris wheel?"  they wouldn't feel as out of place and say 'what's that?'  they'd say 'yeah, sure I have.'

Only the context would be different.

I personally think this down-home annual 'fair' beats any large fair I've ever been to in California, because it's more simple, it's a fun time at a time when people need something fun. 

I can't really say that growing up here means you miss out.

Sure we don't celebrate halloween, but we have carnival.... and it's a wonderful part of living here.