PNG TIME

ipblocker

11/21/2013

New Comm Policy

Some may be wondering why I haven't written a post lately on what God is
doing here... trust me there's a lot of neat stuff happening.
My blogging about work items has reduced greatly for 2 reasons right now.

1. - I'm in a 9 day confidential leadership meeting, and so I don't like
blogging during that time about what God is doing because the way I've
learned it is confidential. I will however ask about permission to
share it. For official 'what's happening in PNG' and a ton of inspiring
stories, check out http://thepngexperience.wordpress.com

2. - there has been a new communication policy enforced recently. The
values represented in the new policy are aligned around the idea of
protecting this organizations reputation inside the country. And so
guidelines were given to us to help make sure we don't say things in
blogs and social media that would damage the relationship we have with
the country's leadership. (If you notice I am specifically avoiding
certain words).

A little over a year ago there was a conflict in this country's
leadership that made world headlines. This country trended on twitter
for a while and the country's leadership became very aware that a lot of
people's first impression of this country was negative because they had
never heard of this place before, and then suddenly this large conflict
is all over social media.

So they decided to begin monitoring, and enforcing a rule that said
nothing derogatory can be said about the country's leadership. In the
newspaper it was reported that some ex-pats were deported because of the
content of their blogs. (It wasn't anybody I know).

The end result is, we need to be a little wiser about how we say
things. Honestly the way I've put things in my blogs hasn't been
intentionally derogatory about this country or its people.

I love this country and its people. I love them because God has put
that love on my heart. I am here to help them, and though it's harder
to blog inside these guidelines (because what I say may not appear
derogatory to you and I, but it may to the local culture)... my blog is
written with the intention of imparting some of my wonder to you.

Sometimes the wonder is more on the side of -Wonder meaning Confusion-.
And sometimes that wonder is more on the side of -Wonder meaning Awe-.


For those of you wanting to know more about the inner workings, I have
to work inside the new policy on communication, and so I will have
certain blog entries checked, an edited.

I know this blog is my link to a number of people who pray and care and
support us, and so I will find a way to continue to communicate with
you. I'm asking that when I do, you realize that I have to protect my
words and be wise in what I write publicly.

Thank you.