PNG TIME

ipblocker

8/25/2010

Missionary's New Friend

In an effort to find a good deal on a trumpet for my daughter, I visited 3 pawn shops today. I have never set foot in a pawnshop, and the Oregon ones are rather clean and nice.

I didn't buy a thing, but they have used power tools, dvd's, electronics, musical instruments.

My wife and I have become enthralled with all the 'bargains' that are to be had out there. Thrift stores, pawn shops, these are wonderful things to people on a budget.

I suppose this isn't news to families with 6 kids, but to a Silicon Valley computer geek, become missionary in PNG... it's a whole new world full of promise and previously owned merchandise.

Once your levels of expectation and definition of what is 'nice' have been changed by living in a third world country... America's hand-me-downs are actually a really nice step UP for us!

Craigslist/ebay - for getting in touch with how much used stuff should cost.
Thrift stores - for kids clothing when they change sizes so quickly
Pawn shops - for trinkets that you may need.. you never know what you're going to find.

it's like treasure hunting, and as many of you know, I HATE to shop but I love to geocache. So long as I can see these places as searching for treasure and not shopping, I can find a way to enjoy it!