PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/09/2010

Following the Tug

Pardon me for a bit while I exposit on some personal philosophy that may or may not be 100% accurate.

I had a thought that sort of amazed me and I thought I might share it.

I had this board, about 1 foot by 1 foot square board. I had wanted to make a shelf a while ago, and I went into my shed out back and found a board, didn't even cut it, took it inside and it almost fit my desired shelf perfectly. But didn't.

So I leaned it up against the wall in my office, and there it sat.

Every time I looked at this board. Already finished with an exterior finish, I thought 'I should put that board back in the shed'. I don't know who cut it or who finished it, but it was in my shed.... probably left there by the previous owner.

Months went by and I hadn't done the simple task of bringing the board into my shed. It wasn't in the way, and therefore not in my thoughts.

This week I am performing (playing banjo for 2 minutes)a small part in a school play, as part of the side entertainment. Part of my job is to stand out back on a deck and wait until my turn to go on stage. Last night as I stood there, the deck gave way and my foot went through and broke one of the boards.

I felt bad, but not for long, the deck was in disrepair. Later that night I thought 'what if a high schooler in the play is running backstage and hits that hole and gets injured?' I felt a desire to repair the hole, but no time to do it.

This morning I was in my office at home... I had that tug... to repair the hole, but I thought 'first I have to find a board, finish it so it doesn't rot in the rain in 3 weeks, get a drill, screws...' There was no time as I had to get to work.

Then I saw the board.

The tug on my heart was to fix the hole.

The board lying there made it easy... I grabbed the board, and my tools that were sitting there in my office, and it took me all of 5 minutes to repair the hole.


Now I'm not saying God was in all of this. Although I believe He directs our paths. And I'm not saying that had I not repaired the hole that some high schooler during the play might have a nasty fall and break a limb. I'm not trying to make this a spiritual 'God told me to repair the hole' situation. I've received God's direction before and this wasn't it.

But some thoughts hit me as a parallel between that board story and why my family is here doing the work we do.

-God provided the tug to do something.
-We followed
-God provided the tools to make it possible

God knew I would one day put a hole in that deck, and there was a board there making it possible for me to follow the little nagging feeling that I should go fix that hole.

If the board wasn't there, I wouldn't have gone, because I wouldn't have had the visual reminder, nor the time.

I believe that if you spend time with God, reading His Word, listening to Him, that you need to develop the discipline to listen when He guides you. Sometimes it's a little tug that says 'hey go do this'... and you know it's the right thing to do.

-God put a pull on our heart to come here
-We said 'yes' not knowing how it might work out.
-He provided the financial means through you.

You guys are the board. A good solid place to put our feet, without falling through.


Okay so it seems sappy, but hey, sometimes life serves you up sappy moments.