PNG TIME

ipblocker

1/12/2010

Rain Swarm




If creepy crawlies make you squeamish, you might not want to read this post.

Last night around 10:30 I get myself ready for bed. It has been raining very hard for several hours and the ground around our house is a swamp. As I lay in bed I let myself hear the sounds of living here.

Some new sounds struck my attention. As the rain comes down for a prolonged time, and the moon is out, more sounds come out. It was very much like one of those rain forest sountracks you hear. The frogs were singing their little tunes in harmony, the rain hit things. And then I noticed the rain was pouring out of our water tank.. overflowing.

The overflow drain had busted and I decided to go fix it rather than wake up to a huge mud problem.

SO I went outside and fixed it in my pj's in the rain and noticed a swarm of bugs around our security light... then another... and then realized I was in the middle of the swarm.

Thousands of flying ants swarmed me, I got inside and began the process of getting them out of my hair and clothing. Then I realized, they were attracted to light because they swarmed the bathroom light.

I quickly went around the house and closed all the windows as the screens can only hold so much. Already there were a few hundred of these ants in the house.

I checked on the kids, they were fine. My wife was woken up by my antics.

It is odd to pull back a curtain and not be able to see out your window because of bugs covering the screen.

The pic above is the best I could get without going outside. Our windows are louvred so it's hard to get a good shot from inside.

My wife asks "what's going on?"
"The craziest thing, there are flying ants everywhere."
"oh yeah, they come out when it rains really heavy at the school too, usually hundreds of dead ants to sweep up in the morning."

While I was marvelling at the swarm, my wife fell back asleep.

It does take a few minutes to get back to sleep after your adrenaline gets moving, especially if you imagine yourself still covered in ants.

Around here we've learned a thing or two, and one of them is... if you feel like something is crawling on you, it is. It is NEVER your imagination. (-;

I suppose the flooding rain forced the ants out of their earthy homes and they headed towards the light.